The Galleria Building was constructed originally for a fifty-year lease to the department store, “Olds, Wortman & King”, by a group of investors, the Trustee Company of Portland, Oregon. Architect Charles R. Aldrich of Seattle was hired by the Trustee Company to design the building. The interior furnishings and casework for the entire store were designed by Portland’s leading architects, Doyle, Patterson & Beach. They were also the supervising architects for construction administration and construction began early in 1909. The interior was renovated in 1926 after the founding company sold the building in 1925. During this remodel the retail aisles of the maple wood flooring on the 1st Floor was covered with gray marble tiles. In 1946 and 1947, Olds, Wortman & King engaged Portland’s prominent architect, Pietro Belluschi, to design new passenger elevators and escalators to serve the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd floors. In this remodel, the atrium skylight was covered by a new ceiling, and the old elevators and monumental central stair removed. After World War II, the store changed its name to Olds & King, and was later sold to the California based Rhodes Department Store chain. In January of 1974, Rhodes closed its doors. Two years later in 1976, William and Sam Naito purchased the building, and gave it a new lease of life as The Galleria. The Naito family engaged SERA architects to design the remodel. Today, the Galleria Building maintains retail on the 1st Floor and office space on the upper floors.
Bill Naito Company, Portland, Oregon
© 2018 Bill Naito Company 503-488-5000 2701 NW Vaughn Street, Suite 323, Portland, Oregon 97210